34 dead as UP reels under cold wave
Lucknow: The intense cold wave snuffed out 34 more lives in Uttar Pradesh taking the toll to 233 with the mercury dipping to sub-zero levels in at least five districts of the state.
Reports reaching here said that five people fell to the chill in Deoria, four each in Ghazipur, Kushinagar and Maharajganj, three each in Ballia, Rae Bareli and Etah, two each in Bijnore, Mirzapur, Chandauli and one each in Bahraich and Hathras.
Met office sources here said that mercury fell to sub-zero levels in Gorakhpur, Bareilly, Ghazipur, Kanpur and Lucknow and the minimum temperature was around ten notches below normal.
Gorakhpur and Ghazipur with minus one degree were the coldest places in the state (-10 and -9 respectively) followed by Lucknow with minus 0.7 (-8), sources said, adding that Kanpur which was the coldest place in the state yesterday registering minus 1.1 however was fractionally warmer with minus 0.4 (-7) and Bareilly minus 0.1 (-8).
Though the state capital Lucknow today experienced sunshine giving some respite to the people, the overall weather continued to be cold because of freezing winds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?