34 dead as UP reels under cold wave
Lucknow: The intense cold wave snuffed out 34 more lives in Uttar Pradesh taking the toll to 233 with the mercury dipping to sub-zero levels in at least five districts of the state.
Reports reaching here said that five people fell to the chill in Deoria, four each in Ghazipur, Kushinagar and Maharajganj, three each in Ballia, Rae Bareli and Etah, two each in Bijnore, Mirzapur, Chandauli and one each in Bahraich and Hathras.
Met office sources here said that mercury fell to sub-zero levels in Gorakhpur, Bareilly, Ghazipur, Kanpur and Lucknow and the minimum temperature was around ten notches below normal.
Gorakhpur and Ghazipur with minus one degree were the coldest places in the state (-10 and -9 respectively) followed by Lucknow with minus 0.7 (-8), sources said, adding that Kanpur which was the coldest place in the state yesterday registering minus 1.1 however was fractionally warmer with minus 0.4 (-7) and Bareilly minus 0.1 (-8).
Though the state capital Lucknow today experienced sunshine giving some respite to the people, the overall weather continued to be cold because of freezing winds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Chidambaram rejects FM Jaitley's remarks over inflation
- Single Indian women want to write their own marriage vows
- Traffic nightmare in Gurgaon; waterlogging on NH8 hits Delhi-Jaipur route, schools shut
- India's doping shame: 687 athletes banned since 2009 as per NADA records
- Know why Radhika Apte couldn’t be a part of ‘Kabali’ promotions