34 LS nominations rejected in Varanasi; Modi, Kejriwal among 44 left in fray
Varanasi: Election authorities have rejected nomination papers of 34 candidates out of 78 contestants in this high-profile Lok Sabha seat, leaving 44 persons in the fray including BJP`s Narendra Modi and AAP`s Arvind Kejriwal.
The filing of nominations for this constituency, going for polls on May 12, ended yesterday.
Following scrutiny of all nominations today, the election office said the candidature of 34 persons have been rejected which included independent P N Ramchandran, nephew of late sandalwood smuggler Veerappan.
Interestingly, the nomination of Meraj Khalid Noor, a lookalike of slain al-Qaeda chief Osama Bin Laden, has also been rejected.
Varanasi saw one of the highest number of nominations in this Lok Sabha election while it can still make to the record books if remaining 44 candidates continue in the contest. The last date for withdrawal of nominations is April 28.
Among those with valid nominations include BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Modi, Congress` Ajay Rai, Samajwadi Party`s Kailash Nath Chaurasiya, BSP`s Vijay Prakash Jaiswal, CPM`s Heera Lal Yadav and AAP`s Kejriwal.
Trinamool Congress` Indira Tiwari, Jan Shakti Ekta Party`s Narendra Nath Dubey Adig and transgender Baseer Kinnar are also among those whose nominations have been accepted.
There are a total of 20 independent candidates now in the poll fray along with 19 from state parties or smaller outfits and five from national parties.
Besides Modi, two other Narendras remain in fray while nomination of one Narendra (Sharma) has been rejected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble