40 bonded labourers rescued in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: As many as 40 bonded labourers, including children and women, were freed from a brick kiln in Uttar Pradesh`s Bhimnagar district, police said on Saturday.
The bonded labourers, including 10 women, and 12 children, were rescued late on Friday from the brick kiln in Hayatnagar town following a joint operation by district authorities, labour department and police.
"Majority of the labourers freed are natives of western regions of Uttar Pradesh. After giving some advance money, the brick kiln owners managed to bring them at the site around two months ago," police inspector Anil Mishra told reporters in Bhimnagar, some 300 km from Lucknow.
"The labourers were held hostage and forced to work without any labour charges," he added.
According to police, the contractors at the brick kiln and its owners managed to escape during the raid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened