43 percent turnout in Ghaziabad civic polls
Ghaziabad: Ghaziabad registered a 43 percent turnout Wednesday in the municipal corporation polls, which were largely peaceful though stray incidents of violence was reported from some places, officials said.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is locked in a straight fight with the Samajwadi Party for the seat of mayor. The Congress and the Bahujan Samaj Party are also in the fray.
The seat of mayor is being held by the BJP. The party`s candidate Teluram Kamboj is trying hard to retain the seat.
The voting percentage was 74 percent in Patla town area and 45 percent in Loni town area.
The polls were held for 222 wards of the district. The 453 poling centres under 33 zones was equipped with 15,000 strong police force. The 158 centres had been identified hyper sensitive while 129 centres had been identified sensitive.
The polls were reported peaceful amid few incidents of violence over defects in Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs).
Modinagar recorded the polling percentage of 57 percent.
In town area of Muradnagar polling was 61 percent. In Patla town it was 74 percent, in Niwari it was 67 percent. Faridnagar recorded a voting percentage of 66 percent, Dasna at 61 percent while in Loni it was 45 percent.
The district police chief Prashant Kumar said the election has been conducted in a peaceful manner except few incidents of mild violence. The police resorted to a lathi charge in Lajpat Nagar area.
The SP candidate is Sudhan Rawat. The election process began at 7.00 a.m. and was closed at 6 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi