5 security personnel held with over Rs 5cr contraband in UP
Ghazipur: Five security personnel
deployed in the duty of a local opium factory have been
arrested with contraband worth over Rs five crore in the
international market, police said here on Monday.
Acting on a tip-off, a joint team of Jangipur police and
ATS arrested two Central Industrial Security Force (CISF)
personnel late last night from near Mithapara village here and
recovered over two kilo morphine and Rs 10 lakh cash from
their possession, SP L Ravi Kumar said.
On information provided by the arrested duo, police
raided the house of a constable in the factory premises early
this morning and arrested three more security personnel while
they were negotiating a deal, Kumar said.
Rs 7.38 lakh cash, 720 grams morphine, mobile phones and
illegal cartridges were seized during the raid, he said.
The SP claimed that the trio during interrogation have
confessed to smuggle the contraband.
Efforts are on to ascertain if more security personnel
were involved in the racket, the SP said, adding that the
police department has announcing a cash reward for the team
which arrested the culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report