50 VHP activists held for trying to perform banned parikrama
Faizabad: Faizabad district officials on Thursday arrested about 50 VHP activists in the Gosaiganj and Akbarpur police station areas of the neighbouring Ambedkarnagar district as they tried to perform the 84-Kosi parikrama.
The arrests today came on the fifth day since the banned yatra was scheduled have kicked off.
"We are alert and keeping a tight vigil on the movements of VHP activists... Till the last date for the parikrama, we are not going to lower our guard," said Faizabad district magistrate, Vipin Kumar Dwivedi.
Strict checking is being carried out on buses, trains and at all entry points into the district.
VHP has plans tomorrow to perform the parikrama in the Taarun and Bikapur police station areas of Faizabad but the DM said they were ready to foil any such attempts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss