85 kg sandalwood recovered in Kanpur, two arrested
Kanpur: Two alleged sandalwood smugglers were arrested and 85 kg of sandalwood was recovered from their possession at Central railway station here, police said today.
"The youths Nazeem and Ibrahim got off from Pushpak Express train carrying four heavy bags yesterday. They were a bit hesitant on being stopped by the GRP jawans carrying out the security check. On being checked 85 kg Sandalwood was discovered from the four bags," DSP Circle Officer (GRP) Surendra Tiwari said.
On investigation it was revealed that they used to buy the wood from Madhya Pradesh at Rs 5000 per kg and sell it to the traders in Kannauj for Rs 8000 per kg, Tiwari said.
Kannauj traders use sandalwood in the production of perfume which sells for lakhs of rupees in the market.
On interrogation, the duo confessed to carrying out smuggling since the last one year, he said, adding that further investigation is being carried out to find out about their accomplices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui