Aarushi case: Rajesh Talwar`s bail extended

Last Updated: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 13:33

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: The special CBI court on Wednesday granted bail to Dr Rajesh Talwar in connection with the Aarushi Talwar-Hemraj double murder case.

As soon as the trial began, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) strongly opposed the Aarushi`s dentist parents - Dr Rajesh Talwar and Dr Nupur Talwar- plea for anticipatory bail in connection with the case.

Opposing the bail, the CBI said there were `hidden motives` behind the plea, which might have been filed as Section 438 of the Criminal Procedure Code (relating to anticipatory bail) was not applicable in Uttar Pradesh.

However, the court was not convinced and extended the bail granted to Rajesh by the Suprme Court till April 11. Meanwhile, the court also directed Nupur Talwar- the wife of Dr Rajesh- to appear in this court within 30 days.

The media was not allowed into the court-room and nearly 35 police officers, all armed, were deployed outside.

The trial in the Ghaziabad sessions court began after the apex court rejected Aarushi`s dentist parents - Dr Rajesh Talwar and Dr Nupur Talwar - plea to shift the trial to a Delhi court last week.

The trial in the twin murder case began amidst tight security after the apex court asked the CBI and Uttar Pradesh administration to provide adequate security to the Talwars.

Dr Rajesh Talwar reached the court this morning along with his brother Dinesh Talwar. However, Aarushi’s mother Nupur was not present during the hearing inside the court.

Allahabad High Court had on Tuesday asked the special CBI court in Ghaziabad to "expeditiously" decide the bail plea of Nupur and her dentist husband Rajesh.
Justice Balakrishna Narayana gave the direction to the Ghaziabad court on a petition by Nupur.

The petition sought a direction to the trial court that her bail plea be decided "on the same day" as it was filed.

The judge, however, gave no formal judgment on Nupur`s plea.

In Ghaziabad, elaborate security arrangements have been made for today`s hearing on the case at the Ghaziabad court.

District police chief Raghubir Lal said the police and Provincial Armed Constabulary would be deployed at the court.
He, however, said the couple had not demanded security from the police after Rajesh was attacked in the Ghaziabad court complex on January 25, 2011.

Soon after the attack on Talwar, the judge had issued orders under Section 327 of the Criminal Procedure Code and allowed only litigants and advocates related to the case inside the courtroom.

The CBI court had summoned the dentist couple as accused in the case after the probe agency filed its closure report. They had moved the high court and later the Supreme Court to get the court`s orders quashed, but failed to get any relief. Last month, the top court had rejected the couple`s plea to transfer the case petition to Delhi.

With PTI Input



First Published: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 12:03

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus