Aarushi-Hemraj murders: A Timeline
New Delhi: The double murders of of 14-year-old Aarushi Talwar and her family`s domestic help Hemraj in the national capital`s satellite town of Noida shocked Indians and dominated media headlines over the last 33 months. Here is a timeline on the two crimes:
May 16, 2008: Aarushi Talwar, the daughter of dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar found dead with her throat slit in the bedroom of her flat in Jalvayu Vihar in Noida; domestic help Hemraj suspected.
May 17: Hemraj`s body found on the terrace of Talwar`s house.
Noida Sector 20 station house officer shifted for lapses in investigations.
Autopsy report rules out sexual assault.
May 18: Police say murders done with surgical precision; insider job suspected.
Noida Superintendent of Police (City) Mahesh Mishra shifted out.
May 19: Talwar`s former domestic help Vishnu Sharma named a suspect.
May 21: Delhi Police join murder probe; police say murder committed by "doctor or butcher".
May 22: Talwar family under suspicion; honour killing angle probed; police quiz Aarushi`s close friend Anmol, whom she spoke with on the phone 688 times in the 45 days before she was murdered.
May 23: Aarushi`s father Rajesh Talwar arrested for twin murders.
May 31: Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) takes over the case from Noida police.
June 13: Krishna, Rajesh Talwar`s compounder, arrested by CBI.
June 27: Raj Kumar, the servant of Anita Durani - a doctor friend of the Talwars, arrested by CBI.
July 11: Rajesh Talwar set free by local court after CBI fails to get evidence against him.
Vijay Mandal, the domestic help of Talwars` neighbour Capt Tandon, arrested by CBI.
Sep 4: Vijay Mandal released on bail.
Sep 12: Krishna and Raj Kumar released on bail.
CBI announces a cash reward of Rs.100,000 for clues leading to recovery of weapon of offence and mobile phones of Aarushi and Hemraj.
Sep 2009: Hyderabad-based Central Forensic Laboratory files a report stating that most of physical evidence taken from the crime scene, and that Aarushi`s vaginal sample was tampered with.
Feb 2010: Rajesh and Nupur Talwar undergo narco-analysis test.
July 21: Rajesh Talwar moves court to restrain media outlets from publishing misleading and unethical information.
Dec 29: CBI files closure report, stating that Rajesh Talwar is the main suspect but there is not enough evidence against him.
Feb 9, 2011: A special Ghaziabad court orders that Rajesh and Nupur Talwar be tried for Aarushi`s murder. The couple will also be prosecuted for destruction of evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- VIDEOS: MS Dhoni's wife Sakshi shares her adorable moments with daughter Ziva
- 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed announces 'jihad to free Pakistani rivers from India'
- Chinese ship inaugurates expanded Panama Canal
- Euro 2016: Germany cruise into last eight with 3-0 Slovakia win
- Security in Kashmir reviewed following Pampore attack; Amarnath Yatra to begin soon