ABVP workers, police clash in Lucknow
Lucknow: Members of ABVP and police Wednesday clashed with each other as cops allegedly baton-charged the student activists when they were attempting to gherao the state Legislative Assembly here to press for their demands.
Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) workers claimed that several of them were injured in the police action.
The ABVP workers, who were attempting to march towards the Vidhan Bhawan, allegedly indulged in brick-batting when they were stopped by the police, following which the latter resorted to baton-charge.
Reacting to the incident, BJP`s chief spokesman here Vijay Bahadur Pathak said, "the party condemns the lathicharge on ABVP workers".
He claimed that the protest was pre-sheduled and the ABVP workers should have been taken into custody as they had announced that they will court arrest.
"Instead, the police to disperse the activists resorted to baton-charge and pelted stones in which more than a dozen students were injured," Pathak alleged.
He demanded action against officers responsible for the "inhumane act".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- IND vs NZ: New-age Team India announce Kiwi-series fixtures in unique style
- EPFO aims to cover all workers under PF, pension by 2030
- Lionel Messi `God`s gift` to Argentina: President
- Human sex hormone has its evolutionary evidence in Starfish!
- National Ranking to have separate parameters for IISERs: Smriti Irani