Action sought against UP rural engineering officials
Lucknow: An activist in Uttar Pradesh has sought registration of a first information report against officials of Rural Engineering Department over regularities pointed out by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG).
In her application at a police station here, Nutan Thakur said the official auditor CAG`s report on the department`s working from 2007-12 presented anomalies in the category of criminal offence.
She said the CAG verified 25 percent of the work and found irregularities of over Rs 1,401 crore.
Talking to a news agency, Thakur alleged that while police had accepted her application, they refused to give her a receipt.
She would now approach the Lucknow senior superintendent of police to get the case registered.
According to the CAG report, Thakur said, all standards, rules and regulations were flouted leading to financial irregularities resulting in heavy loss to the government exchequer.
For instance, as per the government`s guidelines, an administrative sanction is given first followed by financial and technical sanctions, said Thakur`s complaint.
The department gave technical sanction in 1,098 cases worth Rs.298.07 crore before the administrative sanction. In many cases, contractors were appointed and rates fixed before any process was initiated and later on, sanctions were given through back-dating, it said, citing the CAG report.
In a central rural road laying scheme, it was necessary to make the department the project implementing unit (PIU) but in case of 47 road projects worth Rs 131.91 crore, outside organisations were made PIUs, it added.
Similarly, against the government rules of not giving any financial power to `prabhari` (ad hoc) employees, many such people were granted financial powers, it said, adding that in most cases, tender rules were also flouted.
Similarly 3,090 contracts worth Rs 671.35 crore were allotted through single-window system, which was against the rules, the complaint said.
In Aligarh, Azamgarh, Bijnore, Faizabad, Lalitpur, Moradabad and Sitapur districts, no completion report was sent in 2,461 contracts worth Rs 474.46 crore, Thakur`s complaint said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?