Advani`s UP rally postponed
Agra: A BJP rally scheduled to be addressed Sunday by senior leader L.K. Advani in Uttar Pradesh`s Akola town has been postponed to Sep 29, citing security reasons.
Agra Divisional Commissioner Pradip Bhatnagar and senior district officials on late Friday held a meeting with Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders, including local MP Ram Shankar Katheria.
The officials agreed to allow the rally Sep 29 in Akola, 18 km from Agra, "if the situation in the state remains normal".
The postponement took place Friday, a day when BJP anointed Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as its prime ministerial candidate despite opposition from Advani.
MP Varun Gandhi was also scheduled to address the Akola rally.
BJP Agra district president Ashok Rana said they will decide after consultation with state president Lakshmi Kant Vajpayee and others.
"In a way, it`s a relief for Advaniji who would have been asked to state his position vis-a-vis Modi, a subject he would perhaps like to avoid for a few days," party sources said.
Agra District Magistrate Zuhair Bin Saghir and senior police officials have been trying to convince BJP leaders that the time was not right to hold a rally in the present circumstances when passions were running high in the aftermath of communal clashes in Muzaffarnagar and nearby areas that left 47 dead.
On Friday, police and paramilitary forces marched through Akola town. A team of police was sent to uproot tents at the rally venue.
"Right now, the whole area is tense and people are fuming with anger," BJP leaders said in Agra.
Some BJP leaders said they were ready to court arrest on Sunday to defy restrictions and Section 144 that prohibits unlawful assembly.
BJP workers felt cheated and angry at the postponement of the rally.
"The Modi-anointment celebrations were dampened by the district administration`s ban on the Akola rally, but party workers will soon gear up and work for the success of the rally on a new date," said BJP activist Pramendra Jain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared