Agra engineering college official jailed for lake pollution
Agra: The registrar of an engineering college on the Delhi-Agra highway was Monday sent to jail by an Uttar Pradesh court here for polluting a lake, a wildlife department official said.
Agra Judicial Magistrate Sunita Nagore punished Dinesh Saxena, registrar of Anand Engineering College, for illegally operating the college after it was sealed by the wildlife department for discharging waste into the Soor Sarovar bird sanctuary, around 20 km from Taj city.
The college was also charged with installing high mast lights that disturbed the birds and building structures without permission from appropriate authority. It was sealed in October 2012 but later classes were allowed to be run for the session.
Deputy Wildlife Conservator Sujoy Banerjee told IANS: "We had sent notices and warned the college management time and again but they failed to act on the promises. The court has now jailed Dinesh Saxena, registrar of the college."
The eco-sensitive zone around the lake attracts thousands of migratory birds.
The wild life department has also sent notices to the Mathura Oil Refinery for polluting the water reserves. The refinery has its pumping station at the site that draws water for industrial use.
The British-era lake, the largest in Uttar Pradesh, acts as an emergency water reservoir for the Taj city. It was later notified as a bird sanctuary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead