Agra jail inmates to sell petha
Agra: Officials of the central jail here Thursday opened a retail counter in a busy commercial complex in the city to sell a sweetmeat, `petha`, made by the jail inmates.
"This certainly is a major initiative of the Agra jail, and will go a long way in bridging the gap and removing the stigma and bitterness," said Lok Swar president Rajiv Gupta.
Agra is famous for its Taj Mahal, the marble monument to love, and petha, the translucent, soft sweetmeat made from the ash gourd which is also known as white pumpkin, or simply petha in Hindi and Urdu.
The NGO Satya Mev Jayate provides the back-up support to the initiative.
Jail officials said three quintals of petha can be made daily, which could go up if there is a demand.
"A large number of inmates are waiting to learn petha making skills and join the commercial activity," said jail superintendent BR Sharma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says