Agra jail inmates to sell petha
Agra: Officials of the central jail here Thursday opened a retail counter in a busy commercial complex in the city to sell a sweetmeat, `petha`, made by the jail inmates.
"This certainly is a major initiative of the Agra jail, and will go a long way in bridging the gap and removing the stigma and bitterness," said Lok Swar president Rajiv Gupta.
Agra is famous for its Taj Mahal, the marble monument to love, and petha, the translucent, soft sweetmeat made from the ash gourd which is also known as white pumpkin, or simply petha in Hindi and Urdu.
The NGO Satya Mev Jayate provides the back-up support to the initiative.
Jail officials said three quintals of petha can be made daily, which could go up if there is a demand.
"A large number of inmates are waiting to learn petha making skills and join the commercial activity," said jail superintendent BR Sharma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- New Zealand's Queenstown Airport evacuated after 'bomb message' found on plane
- SHOCKING! Star wrestler Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio participation doubtful
- What Diljit Dosanjh said about 'Phillauri' co-star Anushka Sharma will melt your heart! - Read here
- DDA's next housing scheme could be completely online
- Now tune into popular FM radio stations on trains with Rail Radio Service