Agra lawyers, activist march for HC bench
Agra: Lawyers and activists from Agra and neighbouring districts Wednesday held a march here to press their demand for a high court bench in the Taj city. They ended their demonstration in a public meeting at the Shah Jahan Park Crossing near the Taj.
According to the directives of the apex court, no demonstration or meeting can be held within 500 metres of the Taj Mahal.
A few lawyers, however, tried to sneak in but were prevented by the police and security forces.
Politicians from various parties, including the Congress and the Samajwadi Party, supported the demand for the high court bench in Agra, as recommended by the Jaswant Singh Commission.
The steering committee of the demonstrators announced another march to the Parliament House in New Delhi would be held Dec 19.
A memorandum to the president was presented to Agra`s District Magistrate Ajay Chauhan.
A large number of tourists were inconvenienced and forced to walk long distances due to traffic restrictions.
Since morning there was a massive deployment of security forces around the Taj Mahal, and the road from the Yamuna Expressway via Yamuna Kinara Road was heavily guarded.
Conservationists have expressed concern over use of the Taj Mahal for protests.
"The Taj Mahal should be spared. It is the crown of India and nobody should use it for partisan purposes," said Shravan Kumar Singh, a conservationist.
The issue of setting a high court bench has become a kind of football between Meerut and Agra. No political party wants to antagonise voters in one part, said senior lawyer Hemendra Chaturvedi.
Given the size of the state, a bench of the high court in Agra was a very valid demand and has been hanging fire for more than three decades, Anil Sharma, a lawyer and president of the Agra Press Club, said.
The Jaswant Singh Commission set up by the central government in early 1980s had specifically recommended Agra for setting up a bench of the Allahabad High Court.
Uttar Pradesh already has its high court located at Allahabad, one of the oldest in the country, with a bench at Lucknow.
Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh`s meeting with Law Minister Ashwini Kumar three days ago for a high court bench at Meerut had ignited the agitation in Agra. However, Jayant Choudhary - Ajit Singh`s son and MP from Mathura - has supported Agra`s case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday