Agra MP injured in mob attack
Agra: Lok Sabha member from Agra, Ram Shankar Katheria, was injured when he was hit in stone-pelting by a mob, police said on Saturday. The incident, in an area where most hotels are located, prompted foreign tourists to flee.
Katheria had to be admitted to a hospital after he was hit by a stone in the Tourist Complex area of Fatehabad Road on Friday night.
Hotels and cars were attacked. Most foreign tourists fled, some leaving the city late at night, as they feared for their life, industry sources said.
Police denied that tourists had left Agra due to the disturbances, but some hoteliers confirmed that a few groups had chosen to shift to Delhi out of panic.
The tourist area close to the Taj Mahal saw a massive deployment of police personnel.
Violence broke out after residents of Taj Ganj area brought out a man`s body and blocked the road.
Ramu, originally from Firozabad, was married to Sapna of Taj Ganj area only three months ago. His family members said the police had picked him up for gambling with some others. They accused the police of mercilessly beating Ramu, who subsequently died, and throwing his body in the wilderness.
The police wanted access to the body but the agitators, who numbered several hundred, refused and pelted stones.
Later a mob attacked hotels and restaurants on Fatehabad Road.
The protestors damaged vehicles parked outside hotels on Fatehabad Road. A marriage party was disturbed and the groom from Punjab beaten up.
Police resorted to a mild baton-charge, bursting of tear gas shells and firing of rubber bullets to control the mob.
Katheria, along with senior police officials, tried to intervene and persuade the protestors. It was then that a stone hit the MP who is now being treated in a private nursing home for a serious head injury.
Police officials have reviewed the security arrangements in the tourist complex, with Taj Mahal`s security being beefed up.
Police early Saturday said the situation was under control.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani