Agra scholar`s killing: Issue taken up in Legislative Council
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council chairman Ganesh Shanker Pandey today directed the state government to bring those involved in the brutal killing of a PhD scholar in Agra to justice and give maximum possible financial help to her family members.
The issue of murder of the 23-year-old research scholar was raised by the BSP members through adjournment motion during Zero Hour alleging that students were lathicharged while they were protesting against the death.
The BSP members alleged that since the SP had come to power there was anarchy in the state and law and order has deteroriated.
Leader of the Opposition Naseemuddin Siddiqui alleged that when the students of the private university staged a dharna to protest against the murder, they were lathicharged.
Revenue Minister Ambika Chaudhary said it was a brutal murder, but associating a crime committed in a closed area with the law and order situation was not right.
He said the case was being investigated scientifically with the help of experts and the culprit would be arrested soon.
He denied the charge that the students, who were protesting against the incident, were lathicharged.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had himself met the family members of the victim, he added.
While rejecting the motion Speaker Pandey directed the government to take measures to work the case out and take stern action against the culprit.
He also said the government should extend maximum possible financial assistance to the family of the victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown