Agra tense after 25 shops torched
Agra: Tension gripped the fort area of Agra city as two groups clashed Sunday afternoon soon after more than 25 shops were torched in an arson attack, police said. There were no casualties.
The shops in Shivaji Market close to Agra Fort in this city of the Taj were torched around 2 pm, sparking a clash between the two groups, police said.
The district authorities have rushed additional police to the area. District officials denied that the flare-up had communal overtones.
Fire fighters from Agra, Firozabad and an army base workshop battled the fire in Shivaji Market for two hours before bringing it under control at 4 p.m.
Trouble started following a demand by a group of people to close shops in Shivaji Market as a protest over police action against a youth for alleged eve-teasing.
The protesters turned violent and torched shops, sparking clashes. Soon after the clashes, shops and hotels in markets close to Shivaji Market downed shutters in the Taj city.
In Dholpur House area of Agra, some 360 km from Uttar Pradesh capital Lucknow, a showroom owned by a Samajwadi Party leader was allegedly attacked by a mob.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!