Agra to host international half marathon
Agra: Athletes from Kenya and Ethiopia are expected to participate in an international half marathon to be held in this Taj city in February 2013 with a winners` purse of Rs.2 crore, an official said Friday. It`s envisaged as an annual event.
"It will be grand and truly international. The best-known marathon runners from Kenya, Ethiopia and of course the Indian sports fraternity will be there, plus a galaxy of celebrities," chief coordinator Harvijay Singh Bahia told IANS.
According to Bahia, the event will catapult the city into the list of international sporting events.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav will flag off the marathon, he said.
The event is being organised by an international event management company with a huge budget. The BBC will get broadcast rights for three years.
The state government has directed the local administration to help out in planning the event and provide necessary backup support like security. Cabinet minister Aridaman Singh is actively involved in the planning and execution of the project.
The event will boost Agra`s tourism industry, Bahia said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?