Agra to host international half marathon
Agra: Athletes from Kenya and Ethiopia are expected to participate in an international half marathon to be held in this Taj city in February 2013 with a winners` purse of Rs.2 crore, an official said Friday. It`s envisaged as an annual event.
"It will be grand and truly international. The best-known marathon runners from Kenya, Ethiopia and of course the Indian sports fraternity will be there, plus a galaxy of celebrities," chief coordinator Harvijay Singh Bahia told IANS.
According to Bahia, the event will catapult the city into the list of international sporting events.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav will flag off the marathon, he said.
The event is being organised by an international event management company with a huge budget. The BBC will get broadcast rights for three years.
The state government has directed the local administration to help out in planning the event and provide necessary backup support like security. Cabinet minister Aridaman Singh is actively involved in the planning and execution of the project.
The event will boost Agra`s tourism industry, Bahia said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’