Agra to host international half marathon
Agra: Athletes from Kenya and Ethiopia are expected to participate in an international half marathon to be held in this Taj city in February 2013 with a winners` purse of Rs.2 crore, an official said Friday. It`s envisaged as an annual event.
"It will be grand and truly international. The best-known marathon runners from Kenya, Ethiopia and of course the Indian sports fraternity will be there, plus a galaxy of celebrities," chief coordinator Harvijay Singh Bahia told IANS.
According to Bahia, the event will catapult the city into the list of international sporting events.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav will flag off the marathon, he said.
The event is being organised by an international event management company with a huge budget. The BBC will get broadcast rights for three years.
The state government has directed the local administration to help out in planning the event and provide necessary backup support like security. Cabinet minister Aridaman Singh is actively involved in the planning and execution of the project.
The event will boost Agra`s tourism industry, Bahia said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region- Part II
- DNA: Court acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching case
- Withdraw MPIC land pooling notification, demand YSRC, Left
- Sheena Bora murder case: Khanna wasn't present during crime, his alibi, lawyers say
- Dengue cases jump to 90 in Delhi, 40 cases last week
- UNBELIEVABLE! Cristiano Ronaldo to have an international airport named after him
- Islamic State group claims second German attack in a week