Agra to host international half marathon
Agra: Athletes from Kenya and Ethiopia are expected to participate in an international half marathon to be held in this Taj city in February 2013 with a winners` purse of Rs.2 crore, an official said Friday. It`s envisaged as an annual event.
"It will be grand and truly international. The best-known marathon runners from Kenya, Ethiopia and of course the Indian sports fraternity will be there, plus a galaxy of celebrities," chief coordinator Harvijay Singh Bahia told IANS.
According to Bahia, the event will catapult the city into the list of international sporting events.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav will flag off the marathon, he said.
The event is being organised by an international event management company with a huge budget. The BBC will get broadcast rights for three years.
The state government has directed the local administration to help out in planning the event and provide necessary backup support like security. Cabinet minister Aridaman Singh is actively involved in the planning and execution of the project.
The event will boost Agra`s tourism industry, Bahia said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Get ready to watch Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh in 'Padmavati'! Deets inside
- Bella Thorne comes out as bisexual via Twitter
- Shraddha Kapoor sought to judge music reality TV show?
- Big boost for PM Modi! US voices concerns over human rights situation in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir
- Lodha panel secretary accused BCCI selectors of taking sexual favours, reveals Ajay Shirke