Ajit threatens fresh agitation by sugarcane farmers
New Delhi: RLD chief Ajit Singh has
threatened fresh agitation by sugarcane farmers in Uttar
Pradesh if the sugar mills fail to offer a uniform price to
them within 10 days.
"After we had held a meeting with our party workers in
Shamli (western UP) last week on the sugarcane pricing issue,
and also held a panchayat with sugarcane farmers, some sugar
mills had started giving a price of Rs 215. I have asked my
district units to ensure that other mills in the state also
start paying the same price," he told reporters here.
Singh added that if within 10 days sugar mills in UP did
not start giving that price, then the farmers` agitation will
start again in the state.
He also said that the Centre was sitting over the
sugarcane bill even though it had agreed to make changes in
favour of sugarcane farmers.
Protests by surgarcane farmers last month had prompted
the Centre to promise that the controversial sugarcane
ordinance will be amended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read