Ajit threatens fresh agitation by sugarcane farmers
New Delhi: RLD chief Ajit Singh has
threatened fresh agitation by sugarcane farmers in Uttar
Pradesh if the sugar mills fail to offer a uniform price to
them within 10 days.
"After we had held a meeting with our party workers in
Shamli (western UP) last week on the sugarcane pricing issue,
and also held a panchayat with sugarcane farmers, some sugar
mills had started giving a price of Rs 215. I have asked my
district units to ensure that other mills in the state also
start paying the same price," he told reporters here.
Singh added that if within 10 days sugar mills in UP did
not start giving that price, then the farmers` agitation will
start again in the state.
He also said that the Centre was sitting over the
sugarcane bill even though it had agreed to make changes in
favour of sugarcane farmers.
Protests by surgarcane farmers last month had prompted
the Centre to promise that the controversial sugarcane
ordinance will be amended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- 50,000 fans register for Xiaomi Mi Max launch event
- Euro 2016: Despite another failure, Spain reluctant to change 'tiki-taka' style of play
- 'We're ready to execute our plans' - Chilling details emerge as NIA busts 'ISIS' terror module
- Animals owe their social sense to their maternal side!
- Neymar, Douglas Costa named in Brazil's Olympic squad