Ajit threatens fresh agitation by sugarcane farmers
New Delhi: RLD chief Ajit Singh has
threatened fresh agitation by sugarcane farmers in Uttar
Pradesh if the sugar mills fail to offer a uniform price to
them within 10 days.
"After we had held a meeting with our party workers in
Shamli (western UP) last week on the sugarcane pricing issue,
and also held a panchayat with sugarcane farmers, some sugar
mills had started giving a price of Rs 215. I have asked my
district units to ensure that other mills in the state also
start paying the same price," he told reporters here.
Singh added that if within 10 days sugar mills in UP did
not start giving that price, then the farmers` agitation will
start again in the state.
He also said that the Centre was sitting over the
sugarcane bill even though it had agreed to make changes in
favour of sugarcane farmers.
Protests by surgarcane farmers last month had prompted
the Centre to promise that the controversial sugarcane
ordinance will be amended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?