Ajit threatens fresh agitation by sugarcane farmers
New Delhi: RLD chief Ajit Singh has
threatened fresh agitation by sugarcane farmers in Uttar
Pradesh if the sugar mills fail to offer a uniform price to
them within 10 days.
"After we had held a meeting with our party workers in
Shamli (western UP) last week on the sugarcane pricing issue,
and also held a panchayat with sugarcane farmers, some sugar
mills had started giving a price of Rs 215. I have asked my
district units to ensure that other mills in the state also
start paying the same price," he told reporters here.
Singh added that if within 10 days sugar mills in UP did
not start giving that price, then the farmers` agitation will
start again in the state.
He also said that the Centre was sitting over the
sugarcane bill even though it had agreed to make changes in
favour of sugarcane farmers.
Protests by surgarcane farmers last month had prompted
the Centre to promise that the controversial sugarcane
ordinance will be amended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars