Ajit threatens fresh agitation by sugarcane farmers
New Delhi: RLD chief Ajit Singh has
threatened fresh agitation by sugarcane farmers in Uttar
Pradesh if the sugar mills fail to offer a uniform price to
them within 10 days.
"After we had held a meeting with our party workers in
Shamli (western UP) last week on the sugarcane pricing issue,
and also held a panchayat with sugarcane farmers, some sugar
mills had started giving a price of Rs 215. I have asked my
district units to ensure that other mills in the state also
start paying the same price," he told reporters here.
Singh added that if within 10 days sugar mills in UP did
not start giving that price, then the farmers` agitation will
start again in the state.
He also said that the Centre was sitting over the
sugarcane bill even though it had agreed to make changes in
favour of sugarcane farmers.
Protests by surgarcane farmers last month had prompted
the Centre to promise that the controversial sugarcane
ordinance will be amended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi