AK-47 used in Muzaffarnagar violence?
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The situation in the trouble-hit areas of Muzaffarnagar and surrounding areas continues to improve barring isolated incidences of violence.
The district administration announced that the curfew in Muzaffarnagar will be lifted from 10 am to 5 pm on Thursday. On Wednesday, curfew was relaxed for five hours in riot-hit Muzaffarnagar.
However, Baghpat yesterday witnessed a communal clash leaving a constable injured and police seized 41 AK-47 cartridges from the district.
Two bodies were recovered from the Ganga canal taking the death toll in the communal violence in Muzaffarnagar to 38, ADG (Law and Order) Arun Kumar told reporters, adding 67 people were injured in the violence and 408 persons arrested.
He said 12 bodies were awaiting post-mortem and police was trying to ascertain whether the deaths were linked to the communal violence.
Kumar said two of the suspects in the violence, Vikram Saini and Mukarram, have been detained under the stringent National Security Act (NSA).
Besides this, two deaths have been reported from Meerut, one each have been reported from Hapur, Baghpat, Saharapur and Shamli, raising the total number of dead to 44.
A gun, 41 cartridges of AK-47 and 17 other cartridges were seized during house-to-house searches in a village in Baghpat, police said.
Knives, daggers and swords were also recovered during the searches launched by police in Tirthal village. In a clash between two communities, a gunner of a Circle Officer sustained head injuries during stone-pelting.
The administration had imposed curfew in Kotwali, Civil Lines and Nai Mandi areas of the district on Saturday last following the communal flare up. On Tuesday, curfew was relaxed for two-and-a-half in these areas.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?