AK Antony reviews situation along China border
Kolkata: Defence Minister A K Antony Thursday reviewed the operational preparedness of army and security situation in the Northeast and along the China border.
Eastern Army Commander Lt Gen M M S Rai briefed him here on the maintenance of peace and tranquillity with China as per the Border Peace and Tranquillity Agreement and the recently concluded Border Defence Cooperation Agreement, officials said.
The government is upgrading its defence preparedness along the China border and has already approved the formation of 17 Corps, which would result in the deployment of 50,000 additional troops close to the Line of Actual Control with China.
During his two-day visit to the metropolis, Antony was told about the improvement in the living condition of troops deployed in forward locations in high altitude areas.
The minister appreciated the efforts by all ranks of Eastern Command in maintaining constant vigil, peace and tranquillity along the Sino-Indian border.
Expressing satisfaction at the high level of motivation and morale of troops deployed in difficult and physically demanding conditions, Antony commended the commitment of the forward deployed troops in enhancing mutual trust and deepening the understanding between India and China as per cited agreements.
Army chief General Bikram Singh is also accompanying him in the short tour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 26/11 attacks: US says it wants justice, asks Pakistan to ''cooperate'' with India
- What's the joke? Riteish Deshmukh and Akshay Kumar's 'Housefull3' moment!
- Facebook, Microsoft join hands to build undersea internet cable
- G7 says 'concerned' by situation in East, South China seas
- Attack on Nigerian student not racial crime, have arrested accused, says Hyderabad Police; MEA seeks report