Akhilesh accuses Mayawati of neglecting health services
Lucknow: The Samajwadi Party government in Uttar Pradesh is working hard to get health services back on track in the state after the neglect it suffered under the Bahujan Samaj Party regime, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said on Monday.
"Had things not been so bad in the past five years, UP would have been much ahead in the area of health services.
"Now, the (SP) minister concerned is working with total honesty to bring it back on track," Yadav said at the inauguration of the `Hausla` health campaign aimed at checking the maternal and child mortality rate in the state.
Lauding the working of state Health Minister Ahmed Hasan, the CM said that unlike in the past, no fingers will be pointed at the department now.
"We hope that through the `Hausla` campaign we will be able to create awareness among the people of the state.
"Statistics say that every year, four lakh children die at the time of birth, besides thousands of mothers who also lose their lives," Yadav said.
The CM said UP was getting help from UNICEF, the Bill and Milinda Gates Foundation and other social welfare organisations to revive health services.
He appealed to state officials and health workers to take a pledge to make the efforts bear fruit at the grassroots level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble