Akhilesh asks Centre for subsidised essentials for
Lucknow: Terming Centre`s decision to provide foodgrains, kerosene and LPG at market rates during Mahakumbh Mela at Allahabad as unfortunate, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has sought supply of these essential commodities at subsidised rates.
Noting that the decision can lead to public resentment, Akhilesh, in a letter written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, has requested to provide wheat and rice at BPL rates and kerosene, LPG refill and temporary connections at PDS rates for the event scheduled in January.
Citing example of Mahakumbh Mela in 2001, Akhilesh said during that time, the Centre had made the allocations meant for pilgrims, security personnel, akharas, religious and voluntary organisations and employees at BPL rates.
Contrary to this, both the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution and the the Petroleum and Natural Gas Ministry did not accept state`s request in this regard.
He said that Mahakumbh Mela, being organised after a gap of 12 years, is important from cultural and religious point of view, besides being crucial for tourism promotion.
The decision can result in public resentment and create law and order problem in the Mela area, he noted.
Akhilesh requested the PM to direct the authorities concerned to provide 16,200 MT of wheat and 9,600 MT of rice at BPL rates, besides 13,200 litre kerosene oil, 18,000 temporary LPG connections and 60,000 refills at PDS or subsidised rate for Mahakumbh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27