Akhilesh asks Centre for subsidised essentials for
Lucknow: Terming Centre`s decision to provide foodgrains, kerosene and LPG at market rates during Mahakumbh Mela at Allahabad as unfortunate, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has sought supply of these essential commodities at subsidised rates.
Noting that the decision can lead to public resentment, Akhilesh, in a letter written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, has requested to provide wheat and rice at BPL rates and kerosene, LPG refill and temporary connections at PDS rates for the event scheduled in January.
Citing example of Mahakumbh Mela in 2001, Akhilesh said during that time, the Centre had made the allocations meant for pilgrims, security personnel, akharas, religious and voluntary organisations and employees at BPL rates.
Contrary to this, both the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution and the the Petroleum and Natural Gas Ministry did not accept state`s request in this regard.
He said that Mahakumbh Mela, being organised after a gap of 12 years, is important from cultural and religious point of view, besides being crucial for tourism promotion.
The decision can result in public resentment and create law and order problem in the Mela area, he noted.
Akhilesh requested the PM to direct the authorities concerned to provide 16,200 MT of wheat and 9,600 MT of rice at BPL rates, besides 13,200 litre kerosene oil, 18,000 temporary LPG connections and 60,000 refills at PDS or subsidised rate for Mahakumbh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway