Akhilesh asks Centre for subsidised essentials for
Lucknow: Terming Centre`s decision to provide foodgrains, kerosene and LPG at market rates during Mahakumbh Mela at Allahabad as unfortunate, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has sought supply of these essential commodities at subsidised rates.
Noting that the decision can lead to public resentment, Akhilesh, in a letter written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, has requested to provide wheat and rice at BPL rates and kerosene, LPG refill and temporary connections at PDS rates for the event scheduled in January.
Citing example of Mahakumbh Mela in 2001, Akhilesh said during that time, the Centre had made the allocations meant for pilgrims, security personnel, akharas, religious and voluntary organisations and employees at BPL rates.
Contrary to this, both the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution and the the Petroleum and Natural Gas Ministry did not accept state`s request in this regard.
He said that Mahakumbh Mela, being organised after a gap of 12 years, is important from cultural and religious point of view, besides being crucial for tourism promotion.
The decision can result in public resentment and create law and order problem in the Mela area, he noted.
Akhilesh requested the PM to direct the authorities concerned to provide 16,200 MT of wheat and 9,600 MT of rice at BPL rates, besides 13,200 litre kerosene oil, 18,000 temporary LPG connections and 60,000 refills at PDS or subsidised rate for Mahakumbh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note