Akhilesh directs officials to make UP `mandis` world class
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday directed officials to chart out a project to improve facilities at state`s `mandis` and make them world class.
Akhilesh, who is also the chairman of Mandi Parishad, asked the officials to identify the areas which needed to be improved for making "radical changes" in the `mandis` (a whole sale market where farmers sell their vegetables, food grains and other products)..
The chief minister asked for setting up modern `apna bazars` at 31 places, where, besides the availability of agricultural inputs, arrangements for folk culture, recreation and hand loom products should also be made for the benefit of farmers and their families.
The chief minister said that if required Public Private Partnership (PPP) model for running these `apna bazars` should be considered.
Akhilesh, who was presiding over a meeting of Uttar Pradesh Rajya Krishi Utpadan Mandi Parishad, asked for equipping the `mandis` with solid waste management, rain water harvesting and solar energy besides planting trees in the open land of mandis.
For those growing betel leaves in Bundelkhand area of the state, he directed for providing free transport facility to help them get better remunerative price for their product.
The chief minister said that it has been decided that under the Mandi Parishad run personal accident assistance scheme, an assistance of Rs 50,000 in the event of death should be enhanced to Rs 2 lakhs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Kashmir violence: Avoid using pellet guns against protesters as far as possible, Rajnath Singh tells security forces
- Pakistan spinner Mohammad Hafeez to undergo retest on modified bowling action
- Elderly woman found murdered in Delhi
- IAF's mising AN-32 transporter: Satellites provide pointers, but no signs of aircraft yet
- Harsimrat writes to RS chairman for action on Jairam, Renuka