Akhilesh doles out free treatment sop to UP scribes
Lucknow: In a major sop to the media, the Uttar Pradesh government on Monday okayed a proposal for free treatment to all state accredited journalists at the multi-specialty Sanjay Gandhi Post-graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGI).
The facility of free medical treatment was so far extended to journalists at all state government hospitals and health centres. With Monday`s cabinet decision, the state accredited journalists would be entitled to free treatment at the premier SGPGI, considered to be out of reach because of the high cost of treatment there.
A decision to this effect was taken by the state cabinet at a meeting presided over by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
The proposal was mooted by a group of state journalists during their meeting with the chief minister last year. Yadav assured the delegation that the Samajwadi Party (SP) government was all in favour of such medical facilities being extended to accredited journalists in the state.
Soon afterwards, the state information and public relations department began the spadework on the ambitious proposal, but the file got stuck in legalities and red tape. The issue was taken up by the journalists again in their interactions with the chief minister, and found its way to the cabinet Monday.
There are 375 state accredited scribes in UP.
A revolving fund of Rs 25 lakh has already been created for extending the services to the journalists, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read