Akhilesh renames university named by Mayawati
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday renamed the Kanshi Ram Urdu Arabic and Persian University after famous Sufi saint Khwaja Moiuddin Chishti, as per reports.
The university was set up by the former UP chief minister Mayawati.
The decision in this regard was taken at a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
“The new names given by Mayawati were difficult to remember. That is precisely the reason the Samajwadi Party government is simply going back to old names”, Yadav said.
The UP government on July 23 had also changed the names of the eight districts given by the previous Mayawati regime.
Mayawati had accused SP government of insulting Dalit icons by renaming districts, she named in their honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners
- Political novice Gudni Johannesson elected Iceland president amid football fever