Akhilesh renames university named by Mayawati
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday renamed the Kanshi Ram Urdu Arabic and Persian University after famous Sufi saint Khwaja Moiuddin Chishti, as per reports.
The university was set up by the former UP chief minister Mayawati.
The decision in this regard was taken at a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
“The new names given by Mayawati were difficult to remember. That is precisely the reason the Samajwadi Party government is simply going back to old names”, Yadav said.
The UP government on July 23 had also changed the names of the eight districts given by the previous Mayawati regime.
Mayawati had accused SP government of insulting Dalit icons by renaming districts, she named in their honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption