Akhilesh renames university named by Mayawati
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday renamed the Kanshi Ram Urdu Arabic and Persian University after famous Sufi saint Khwaja Moiuddin Chishti, as per reports.
The university was set up by the former UP chief minister Mayawati.
The decision in this regard was taken at a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
“The new names given by Mayawati were difficult to remember. That is precisely the reason the Samajwadi Party government is simply going back to old names”, Yadav said.
The UP government on July 23 had also changed the names of the eight districts given by the previous Mayawati regime.
Mayawati had accused SP government of insulting Dalit icons by renaming districts, she named in their honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened