Akhilesh sacks SP leader for assaulting journalist
Lucknow: The vice-chairman of Uttar Pradesh Khadi & Gram Udyog Board was sacked from the post on Tuesday after he was detained by the police for allegedly assaulting a photo journalist in Kaisarbagh area of the city.
Natwar Goel, a Samajwadi Party member who enjoyed the status of a Minister of State as the Board’s vice-chairman, was detained after an FIR lodged by the photo journalist accusing him and his supporters of manhandling him.
SP spokesman Rajendra Chaudhary said state party president and Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav sacked Goel from the post and also from the party on charges of indiscipline.
Senior Superintendent of Police RK Chaturvedi said, “An FIR has been registered on the complaint lodged by the photo journalist and the accused is being questioned to verify the incident. If verified he would be arrested.”
In his complaint, the journalist, Ashutosh Gupta, alleged that he was assaulted by Goel and his supporters when he had gone to take photographs of an alleged unauthorised under construction building being constructed after razing down an aided college. “When I was returning after taking photographs of the construction work, Goel came along with his security personnel and dragged me to his cabin where I was assaulted,” Gupta alleged.
He alleged that Goel also threatened him of dire consequences. Goel, however, refuted the charges.
Meanwhile, the UP Accredited Journalists’ Association has condemned the incident and demanded action against Goel.
The Bharatiya Janata Party and the Congress also attacked the party for the incident. “This is not the first incident since SP came to power. The party leaders and office-bearers have been indulging into such incidents,” BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire