Akhilesh wants UP quota of Haj pilgrims be hiked
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday said better facilities would be provided to Haj pilgrims this year and he would write a letter to the Centre to increase the state`s quota of pilgrims.
Describing Haj quota of the state as "insufficient", the CM, after inaugurating a lottery programme for selection of pilgrims, said he would write a letter to the Centre requesting to increase it substantially.
He said construction of the Haj house in Ghaziabad would be completed in a year and land for another in Varanasi would be ready at the earliest.
Akhilesh said the previous SP government had got a Haj house constructed in Lucknow but proper attention was not paid on its maintenance in the last five years.
He said all necessary repair work would be carried out at Lucknow Haj house.
The CM said that for the convenience of the pilgrims,
who depart from New Delhi, the previous SP government had made efforts for constructing a house in Ghaziabad by arranging land but its construction work could not be undertaken.
Extending his wishes to pilgrims selected in the lottery, Akhilesh said that those who could not be selected due to decrease in quota should not get disappointed and they would get a chance next year.
Speaking on the occasion, the chairman of the Haj Committee and minister Azam Khan alleged the Haj House in Lucknow was a victim of mismanagement during the last five years.
He requested that CM for ordering repair and maintenance of the Haj house in Lucknow and cosntruction of two others in Ghaziabad and Varanasi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi