Akhilesh writes to Centre for new railway line
Lucknow: To provide better connectivity to Mubarakpur, the hub of world renowned Banarasi saree, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Monday shot off a letter to Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal requesting him for laying a new Varanasi-Gorakhpur railway line via Mubarakpur.
According to an official spokesman, Akhilesh in his letter said that a railway line linking Mubarakpur would solve several problems being faced by the Benarasi saree weavers.
The weavers get their raw material from places like Surat, Bangaluru, Malda and sometimes even from China and because there is no proper link with this place it is difficult for goods and people to reach there, the chief minister said.
The weavers here face a big problem in getting raw material as also finding market for their product and so they have to depend on middlemen, Akhilesh said.
This railway line would be beneficial for weavers and help them establish direct contact in the market and improve their financial condition, he said in the letter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...