Akhilesh writes to Centre for new railway line
Lucknow: To provide better connectivity to Mubarakpur, the hub of world renowned Banarasi saree, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Monday shot off a letter to Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal requesting him for laying a new Varanasi-Gorakhpur railway line via Mubarakpur.
According to an official spokesman, Akhilesh in his letter said that a railway line linking Mubarakpur would solve several problems being faced by the Benarasi saree weavers.
The weavers get their raw material from places like Surat, Bangaluru, Malda and sometimes even from China and because there is no proper link with this place it is difficult for goods and people to reach there, the chief minister said.
The weavers here face a big problem in getting raw material as also finding market for their product and so they have to depend on middlemen, Akhilesh said.
This railway line would be beneficial for weavers and help them establish direct contact in the market and improve their financial condition, he said in the letter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!