Akhilesh writes to ministers, asks them to fall in line
Lucknow: Apparently with an eye on the 2014 general elections, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Sunday asked his ministers to comply with a set of directives to ensure a clean image of the party.
In a letter to his cabinet colleagues, Yadav asked them to announce their assets and also of their family members, apart from refraining from accepting costly gifts and attending high-profile functions.
Reacting to the move, a senior leader said Yadav was forced to give these instructions in writing as no leader volunteered after the chief minister`s initiative in this regard, "except a few".
The move comes at a time when the party was under attack from the opposition, which is accusing it of patronising "goonda elements".
Yadav asked them to file declarations by March 31 every year, and also set a deadline of July 31 for this year`s announcement, sources said.
The chief minister also asked them not to involve in land deals and businesses, and inform the CM office in this regard if necessary.
The letter also directed ministers to stay in government rest houses instead of private hotels during tours and not to accept things like garlands of currency notes during public functions, beside asking them to avoid attending programmes without verifying about their organisers.
Akhilesh, who and his MP wife Dimple had uploaded details of their assets on state government`s website in March, directed his cabinet colleagues to deposit expensive gifts and crowns worth over Rs 5,000 in state treasury.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed