Akhilesh Yadav optimist about Third Front
Chapra: As parties other than Congress and BJP are in power in UP, Bihar, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Odisha they are likely to win more seats in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections and there is every possibility of formation of a Third Front, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said on Saturday.
Accusing that development was a `lost cause` for the Congress and BJP, Yadav said, "For the ruling party (Congress) and main opposition (BJP) development is a lost cause now ... in these circumstances there is a need for a third option in the country."
The senior Samajwadi Party leader told reporters that whether Third Front or any other name given to such a coalition, it would be against communal forces and oppose the "anti-people" policies of the Congress-led UPA.
Asked if BJP will be acceptable if it leaves out its `communal agenda`, Yadav said it was not possible for it to leave out such issues.
On October 30, 14 parties along with the Left took part in an anti-communal convention in Delhi which was considered as efforts to bring together non-Congress and non-BJP parties on a single platform.
Samajwadi party president Mulayam Singh Yadav and Bihar Chief Minister and JD(U) leader Nitish Kumar were the star speakers there.
When asked if the RJD will be part of the combine, he replied in the affirmative. Chapra, the district headquarters of Saran district, is the Lok Sabha constituency of RJD President Lalu Prasad who has been disqualified after being sentenced to five years imprisonment in a fodder scam case. The area is dominated by the Yadav caste.
He said that his government has fulfilled about 80 per cent of the promises made in the polls.
Describing distribution of free laptops to 12th standard students as a unique scheme, he said about 15 lakh students have been given the gadget so far.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today
- Baaghi tweet review: First day first show!
- EPF interest rate: Nationwide protest by trade unions today
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput get holiday vibes! See inside
- Priyanka Chopra's dinner date with 'Baywatch' cast! View in pic