Akhilesh Yadav promises upliftment of minorities
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday promised development projects for minorities, especially Muslims, in accordance with the policies of the Central government.
Addressing a joint news conference with Minorities Affairs Minister K Rahman Khan, Yadav said the state government is committed to ensuring the socio-economic needs of the minorities.
"We are committed to working towards uplifting minorities, especially Muslims, socially, economically. Uttar Pradesh is not a state, but is a country in its own because of the population. It needs to be dealt in that manner and efforts need to be made to develop it in that perspective," he said.
Yadav further said that the state would work towards implementing the suggestions of the Sachar Committee.
"The policies of the Sachar Committee which can be implemented in the state would be done by us. The Government of Uttar Pradesh is also working in that direction. We have also decided to initiate more policies so that the help can directly reach the beneficiaries," he said.
The Rajinder Sachar Committee, appointed in 2005 by Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh was commissioned to prepare a report on the latest social, economic and educational condition of the Muslim community of India. The committee was headed by the former Chief Justice of Delhi High Court Rajinder Sachar, including other six members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble