Akhilesh Yadav snubs critics, goes ahead with grand Bollywood night at Saifai
Zee Media Bureau
Saifai: The home town of former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mulayam Singh Yadav, Saifai, witnessed a grand Bollywood night on Wednesday. And not far away, at relief camps for Muzaffarnagar riot victims people were struggling with cold.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and his Samajwadi Party has come under severe criticism for, on one hand, failing to rehabilitate Muzaffarnagar riot victims and, on the other, splurging on the ongoing festival at Saifai.
Despite being slammed, Akhilesh went ahead with the grand night at Saifai Mahotsav where Bollywood stars Salman Khan, Madhuri Dixit and Deepika Padukone performed last night.
The CM made it a point to attend last night`s celebrations, which have made headlines at a time questions are being raised on the UP government`s treatment of Muzaffarnagar riot victims.
As per reports, apart from Salman, Madhuri and Deepika, Ranveer Singh, Mallika Sherawat, Alia Bhatt and Varun Dhawan were flown to Saifai on seven chartered jets.
The grand finale was barred from being telecast live, after criticism of the even grew.
Criticism of the event, into its 15th edition, mounted after reports emerged that 34 children had died at the relief camps in view of lack of facilities to tackle the bitter cold that has swept the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking
- Multiple deaths reported in Munich shopping centre shooting, police operation underway
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg seals deal as Lewis Hamilton crashes out in Friday Practice
- Tour de France: Chris Froome extends lead despite crash as Romain Bardet wins stage