Allahabad HC asks IIIT Allahabad Director to step down
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Wednesday asked the Director of Indian Institute of Information Technology Allahabad to step down and hand over the charge to the "senior-most Dean" of the institution.
A Division Bench comprising Justices Arun Tandon and S P Kesarwani dismissed a petition filed by the Director of IIIT MD Tiwari, who had challenged the Chancellor`s order to relinquish the post upon completion of his tenure.
Tiwari has been the Director of the Institute since 2002.
After serving two five-year terms, he was granted a six-month extension which came to an end in June last year.
He was directed by the Chancellor to relinquish the post, but Tiwari moved the court challenging the order with the plea that he could not be asked to go until a new Director was appointed.
Meanwhile, hearing yet another petition by Tiwari in which he had challenged the ongoing selection process for the Director of the Institute, the court asked the respondent authorities to file counter affidavit and ordered that no appointment be made to the post "until further orders".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre