Allahabad HC raps Akhilesh move to free blast accused
Lucknow: The eight-month-old Akhilesh Yadav led Samajwadi Party (SP) government has been rapped by the Allahabad High Court (HC) for moving to release the accused of the 2006 serial bomb blasts in the temple city of Varanasi.
A bench of justices RK Agarwal and RSR Maurya on Thursday observed: “Today you are releasing them, tomorrow you may give them the Padma Bhushan.”
The court further said that whether those arrested were terrorists or not would be decided by the court and not by the state government.
The bench also asked the state government under what grounds were the cases being withdrawn.
The petition against the government`s move was filed by social activist Rakesh Srivastava and advocate Nityanand Chaubey.
The bench also asked the state government on whether this move of its will not encourage criminals and terrorism.
The petition challenges the Akhilesh government move to withdraw the cases against persons involved in the March 7, 2006 bomb blasts in Sankatmochan temple, Dashwashmegh Ghat and Cantt railway stations.
The state government had issued notification on October 31 seeking withdrawal of the cases against those accused in the blasts.
Lawyers of the petitioners AK Gupta and Shiv Shanker Tripathi said that the court has taken a serious view of the government move and had said that releasing those who are slapped with stringent sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) including 302, 307, 323, 427 and 120B, would not only send a wrong message but would also encourage terrorists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP