Allahabad HC raps Akhilesh move to free blast accused
Lucknow: The eight-month-old Akhilesh Yadav led Samajwadi Party (SP) government has been rapped by the Allahabad High Court (HC) for moving to release the accused of the 2006 serial bomb blasts in the temple city of Varanasi.
A bench of justices RK Agarwal and RSR Maurya on Thursday observed: “Today you are releasing them, tomorrow you may give them the Padma Bhushan.”
The court further said that whether those arrested were terrorists or not would be decided by the court and not by the state government.
The bench also asked the state government under what grounds were the cases being withdrawn.
The petition against the government`s move was filed by social activist Rakesh Srivastava and advocate Nityanand Chaubey.
The bench also asked the state government on whether this move of its will not encourage criminals and terrorism.
The petition challenges the Akhilesh government move to withdraw the cases against persons involved in the March 7, 2006 bomb blasts in Sankatmochan temple, Dashwashmegh Ghat and Cantt railway stations.
The state government had issued notification on October 31 seeking withdrawal of the cases against those accused in the blasts.
Lawyers of the petitioners AK Gupta and Shiv Shanker Tripathi said that the court has taken a serious view of the government move and had said that releasing those who are slapped with stringent sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) including 302, 307, 323, 427 and 120B, would not only send a wrong message but would also encourage terrorists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda