Allahabad HC raps Akhilesh move to free blast accused
Lucknow: The eight-month-old Akhilesh Yadav led Samajwadi Party (SP) government has been rapped by the Allahabad High Court (HC) for moving to release the accused of the 2006 serial bomb blasts in the temple city of Varanasi.
A bench of justices RK Agarwal and RSR Maurya on Thursday observed: “Today you are releasing them, tomorrow you may give them the Padma Bhushan.”
The court further said that whether those arrested were terrorists or not would be decided by the court and not by the state government.
The bench also asked the state government under what grounds were the cases being withdrawn.
The petition against the government`s move was filed by social activist Rakesh Srivastava and advocate Nityanand Chaubey.
The bench also asked the state government on whether this move of its will not encourage criminals and terrorism.
The petition challenges the Akhilesh government move to withdraw the cases against persons involved in the March 7, 2006 bomb blasts in Sankatmochan temple, Dashwashmegh Ghat and Cantt railway stations.
The state government had issued notification on October 31 seeking withdrawal of the cases against those accused in the blasts.
Lawyers of the petitioners AK Gupta and Shiv Shanker Tripathi said that the court has taken a serious view of the government move and had said that releasing those who are slapped with stringent sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) including 302, 307, 323, 427 and 120B, would not only send a wrong message but would also encourage terrorists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says