Allahabad HC seeks replies on tainted babus in Noida
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court today issued notices to the Centre, Uttar Pradesh government, Noida authority and two IAS officers who have been appointed to top posts in Noida despite a criminal investigation pending against them in connection with a land scam.
The order was passed by a two-judge vacation bench comprising Justice Arun Tandon and Justice R S Maurya on a Public Interest Litigation challenging the appointment of Rakesh Bahadur and Sanjeev Saran as Noida`s Chairman and CEO respectively.
The court, while issuing notices to the respondents, asked them to file their counter-affidavits and fixed July 31 as the next date of hearing in the matter.
In the PIL, filed by a social organization "Madhav Samaj Nirman Samiti", it has been alleged that during 2005-07, when Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav was the state`s Chief Minister, Bahadur and Saran were respectively Chairman and CEO of Noida and had facilitated sale of prime land at throwaway prices to hoteliers.
It was further alleged in the PIL that the officers` action had caused a huge loss to the state exchequer and they were also accused of misappropriating large amounts of money.
A case was registered against them in 2009 when Mayawati-led BSP was in power in UP and they had remained under suspension for about three years.
However, after Samajwadi Party returned to power following the assembly polls held this year, the Akhilesh Yadav government appointed the two officers to the very posts they were holding earlier despite the fact that criminal investigation was pending against them and a chargesheet has been filed in course of the departmental inquiry which they were facing.
This, the PIL, alleged, was done to help the officers "cover up their misdeeds and tamper with the original records".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray