Allahabad HC seeks report on power supply in UP
Lucknow: The Lucknow bench of Allahabad High Court on Tuesday sought a report from Uttar Pradesh State Electricity Regulatory Commission regarding electricity supply to districts in Uttar Pradesh.
The order was passed by the bench of acting Chief Justice Amitava Lala and Justice Anil Kumar on a PIL filed by Hindu Personal Law Board challenging 24 hours power supply in six districts, including Rae Bareli, Amethi and Etawah.
The petitioner, counsel Ashok Pandey submitted that uninterrupted power supply in Rae Bareli, Amethi, Etawah, Rampur and Kannauj was against the right of equality provided in the constitution.
The petitioner sought the direction from the court for 24 hours power supply to all religious places in the state and submitted that the image of UP was being maligned due to lack of power.
On behalf of the state government and UP Power Corporation Limited the petition was opposed saying that the role of SERC was also significant which should be looked into.
The court also felt that the response of the SERC may also be called upon.
Accordingly the court permitted the petitioner to make SERC a respondent in the petition during the course of the day and directed that thereafter notice should be issued to the commission.
The matter would be taken up for hearing on the date of next sitting of the acting CJ.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference