Allahabad HC seeks report on power supply in UP
Lucknow: The Lucknow bench of Allahabad High Court on Tuesday sought a report from Uttar Pradesh State Electricity Regulatory Commission regarding electricity supply to districts in Uttar Pradesh.
The order was passed by the bench of acting Chief Justice Amitava Lala and Justice Anil Kumar on a PIL filed by Hindu Personal Law Board challenging 24 hours power supply in six districts, including Rae Bareli, Amethi and Etawah.
The petitioner, counsel Ashok Pandey submitted that uninterrupted power supply in Rae Bareli, Amethi, Etawah, Rampur and Kannauj was against the right of equality provided in the constitution.
The petitioner sought the direction from the court for 24 hours power supply to all religious places in the state and submitted that the image of UP was being maligned due to lack of power.
On behalf of the state government and UP Power Corporation Limited the petition was opposed saying that the role of SERC was also significant which should be looked into.
The court also felt that the response of the SERC may also be called upon.
Accordingly the court permitted the petitioner to make SERC a respondent in the petition during the course of the day and directed that thereafter notice should be issued to the commission.
The matter would be taken up for hearing on the date of next sitting of the acting CJ.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city