Allahabad High Court applies brakes on Noida chairman
Allahabad: Chairman of Noida Rakesh Bahadur was on Thursday restrained from taking "any policy decision" by the Allahabad High Court "till the final disposal" of a review application filed by the Uttar Pradesh government challenging an earlier order for removal of two senior officers including him.
A Division Bench comprising Justice Laxmi Kanta Mahapatra and Justice Pradeep Kumar Singh Baghel issued the direction while reserving its judgement on the review application challenging an order dated November 8, 2012 whereby the state government was directed to remove Bahadur, besides the then CEO of Noida Sanjeev Saran, from their respective post.
Saran was recently removed in a bureaucratic reshuffle.
The court ordered on November 8 that both the IAS officers be posted "anywhere outside western UP", noting that their presence in the region could influence the investigation in corruption charges faced by them.
The Division Bench also stayed the contempt proceedings pending before a single judge bench of the court which had on January 28 directed the government to file a report of compliance with the November 8 order by February 1 (tomorrow).
The single judge bench had also said that if the government failed to file the compliance report, the Chief Secretary would have to appear in person unless "some interim protection is provided by the Division Bench".
Both Bahadur and Saran have been accused of corruption when they were Chairman and CEO, respectively, of Noida during the Chief Ministership of Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav.
A case was registered against them in 2009 when BSP supremo Mayawati was in power and they were placed under suspension for a long period.
However, soon after the Samajwadi Party returned to power in March last year, the two bureaucrats were appointed to the same posts which they had held earlier notwithstanding the investigations pending against them.
A Public Interest Litigation was filed by a social organisation Madhav Samaj Nirman Samiti challenging their appointment to the plum posts despite serious corruption charges on which the court ordered their removal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi