Allahabad Railway Station stampede: UP govt orders inquiry
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government on Sunday ordered an inquiry into the stampede at Allahabad Railway Station and asked the Railways to make proper arrangement to clear the rush of pilgrims who have gathered for Maha-Kumbh from all over the country.
At least 10 persons were killed and scores of others injured in a stampede at Allahabad Railway Station teeming with thousands of pilgrims returning after a holy dip at the Maha Kumbh here.
"The state government has ordered an inquiry into the incident. The `snan` at Kumbh was completed without any problem...The unfortunate incident took place at the railway station…Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has ordered an inquiry," SP spokesman and Cabinet minister Rajendra Chowdhury told a news agency.
Defending local administration, Chowdhury said there was no laxity on its part and it was the failure of the railways, which should have run more trains to deal with the rush.
He said that CM has asked the Centre to run more trains to clear the rush in Allahabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India