Allahabad stampede: Azam Khan quits as in-charge of Kumbh Mela
Rampur: Urban Development Minister in the Uttar Pradesh government Azam Khan on Monday quit as the in-charge of Maha Kumbh Mela organising committee in the wake of Allahabad Railway Station stampede, which killed at least 36 people.
Khan, a powerful Samajwadi Party leader, quit taking moral responsibility of the stampede in Allahabad railway station.
"Though the incident took place outside the Kumbh Mela premises, I take moral responsibility and resign as the in-charge of the Kumbh. I am sending my resignation to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav", Khan told reporters here.
Khan said he was very upset due to the tragic incident as he had tried hard to make best arrangements for the Kumbh.
Khan, a popular Muslim leader in UP, was made the in-charge of the Maha Khumbh Mela organising committee by the state’s Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav days ahead of the start of what is being hailed as the biggest congregation of faith.
On Sunday, it is alleged that a foot-over-bridge collapse at the platform no 6 of the Allahabad Railway Station triggered a stampede resulting in the death of at least 36 people and injuring scores of others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday