Allahabad stampede: BJP demands probe by HC judge
Lucknow: Bhartiya Janta Party on Thursday demanded that a sitting High Court judge probe the stampede at Allahabad railway station which killed 37 people three days ago.
A delegation of the party, led by Leader of BJP Legislative Party Hukkum Singh, met Governor BL Joshi at Raj Bhawan and submitted a memorandum in this regard.
The party alleged that though big promises and announcements were made by the ministers on preparations, but the February 10 incident exposed their claims.
Listing the points on which an independent inquiry should be conducted, the party questioned the government`s arrangements about crowd control in the railway station as trains were the main alternative for return journeys from Kumbh Mela.
Other than trains, if buses were the next alternative for pilgrims, then why adequate number of buses were not arranged, the BJP leaders wondered.
The party demanded that a probe should be conducted about the actual reason behind the stampede, as eye witnesses had alleged that it had happened due to police lathicharge.
The party alleged that vehicles for transportation and ambulances were pressed into service only for SP leaders.
It also alleged that there was complete lack of coordination between the Railways and the district and Mela administration.
Though a 175-bed hospital was present near the railway station, yet there were no doctors or stretchers when the incident happened, indicating the insensitiveness of the Railways, the party claimed.
It also added that soon after the incident, while the government announced a probe, the CM congratulated officials during his Allahabad visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why