Allahabad stampede: BJP demands probe by HC judge
Lucknow: Bhartiya Janta Party on Thursday demanded that a sitting High Court judge probe the stampede at Allahabad railway station which killed 37 people three days ago.
A delegation of the party, led by Leader of BJP Legislative Party Hukkum Singh, met Governor BL Joshi at Raj Bhawan and submitted a memorandum in this regard.
The party alleged that though big promises and announcements were made by the ministers on preparations, but the February 10 incident exposed their claims.
Listing the points on which an independent inquiry should be conducted, the party questioned the government`s arrangements about crowd control in the railway station as trains were the main alternative for return journeys from Kumbh Mela.
Other than trains, if buses were the next alternative for pilgrims, then why adequate number of buses were not arranged, the BJP leaders wondered.
The party demanded that a probe should be conducted about the actual reason behind the stampede, as eye witnesses had alleged that it had happened due to police lathicharge.
The party alleged that vehicles for transportation and ambulances were pressed into service only for SP leaders.
It also alleged that there was complete lack of coordination between the Railways and the district and Mela administration.
Though a 175-bed hospital was present near the railway station, yet there were no doctors or stretchers when the incident happened, indicating the insensitiveness of the Railways, the party claimed.
It also added that soon after the incident, while the government announced a probe, the CM congratulated officials during his Allahabad visit.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged