Allahabad stampede: BJP demands probe by HC judge
Lucknow: Bhartiya Janta Party on Thursday demanded that a sitting High Court judge probe the stampede at Allahabad railway station which killed 37 people three days ago.
A delegation of the party, led by Leader of BJP Legislative Party Hukkum Singh, met Governor BL Joshi at Raj Bhawan and submitted a memorandum in this regard.
The party alleged that though big promises and announcements were made by the ministers on preparations, but the February 10 incident exposed their claims.
Listing the points on which an independent inquiry should be conducted, the party questioned the government`s arrangements about crowd control in the railway station as trains were the main alternative for return journeys from Kumbh Mela.
Other than trains, if buses were the next alternative for pilgrims, then why adequate number of buses were not arranged, the BJP leaders wondered.
The party demanded that a probe should be conducted about the actual reason behind the stampede, as eye witnesses had alleged that it had happened due to police lathicharge.
The party alleged that vehicles for transportation and ambulances were pressed into service only for SP leaders.
It also alleged that there was complete lack of coordination between the Railways and the district and Mela administration.
Though a 175-bed hospital was present near the railway station, yet there were no doctors or stretchers when the incident happened, indicating the insensitiveness of the Railways, the party claimed.
It also added that soon after the incident, while the government announced a probe, the CM congratulated officials during his Allahabad visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant