Allahabad stampede: BJP demands probe by HC judge
Lucknow: Bhartiya Janta Party on Thursday demanded that a sitting High Court judge probe the stampede at Allahabad railway station which killed 37 people three days ago.
A delegation of the party, led by Leader of BJP Legislative Party Hukkum Singh, met Governor BL Joshi at Raj Bhawan and submitted a memorandum in this regard.
The party alleged that though big promises and announcements were made by the ministers on preparations, but the February 10 incident exposed their claims.
Listing the points on which an independent inquiry should be conducted, the party questioned the government`s arrangements about crowd control in the railway station as trains were the main alternative for return journeys from Kumbh Mela.
Other than trains, if buses were the next alternative for pilgrims, then why adequate number of buses were not arranged, the BJP leaders wondered.
The party demanded that a probe should be conducted about the actual reason behind the stampede, as eye witnesses had alleged that it had happened due to police lathicharge.
The party alleged that vehicles for transportation and ambulances were pressed into service only for SP leaders.
It also alleged that there was complete lack of coordination between the Railways and the district and Mela administration.
Though a 175-bed hospital was present near the railway station, yet there were no doctors or stretchers when the incident happened, indicating the insensitiveness of the Railways, the party claimed.
It also added that soon after the incident, while the government announced a probe, the CM congratulated officials during his Allahabad visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note