Allahabad stampede failure of Centre, UP: BJP
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday said the stampede at Allahabad railway station on Sunday night exposed the failure of the central as well as the Uttar Pradesh government in managing large congregations.
"We pay our homage to all those who are dead and pray for early recovery for those who are injured. This is the failure of both central and state governments. Bansal cannot wash his hands of the tragedy by giving technical answers like the footover bridge did not collapse," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar told reporters here.
"Stampede happened at the station, as there was much chaos. It could have been managed in a better way... This has been happening in every religious congregation," he said.
BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi claimed the Kumbh Mela officials and local authorities did not have a crowd management plan.
"It was expected of the government and the authorities to manage properly such a grand scale gathering. This time there was a record breaking crowd (in Allahabad). Yet, the officials did not have any plan to manage the crowd`s movement, nor did they know how to handle the situation," Joshi told a TV news channel.
At least 36 people were killed and over a dozen injured in the stampede following the collapse of an overbridge railing at the Allahabad railway station on Sunday night under pressure of the Kumbh Mela rush, an official said on Monday.
Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal on Monday clarified that the stampede did not occur due to breaking of a footover bridge railing, as earlier believed. He also ruled out lack of arrangements, and said the reasons for stampede would be inquired into.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you