Allahabad stampede: Inquiry report within month`s time, says UP Govt
Allahabad: An inquiry committee set up to investigate the reasons behind the stampede at the railway station here has been directed to submit its report within one month, UP Chief Secretary Javed Usmani on Monday said.
The committee headed by UP Board of Revenue Chairman Jagan Matthews has been directed to look into the sequence of events that led to the stampede, underscore lapses, if any, on the part of officials entrusted with managing the crowd and suggest measures for preventing recurrence of such incidents, he said while addressing a press conference here.
The option of a judicial inquiry was not being considered as of now, he said while responding to a question.
"We are hopeful that the inquiry committee is competent enough and as of now we feel no need of a judicial inquiry," he said.
Out of the 36 people who were killed in yesterday`s stampede, post-mortem has been conducted on the bodies of 22 victims. 19 bodies have been handed over to family members for last rites while 14 victims are yet to be identified, he added.
Besides, 39 people are being treated at three different hospitals in the city and some of them are stated to be in a critical condition, the Chief Secretary said.
General Manager of North Central Railways Alok Johri claimed that a total of 1.62 lakh passengers had been moved out of the city by 193 trains on the occasion of `Mauni Amawasya` yesterday.
There were arrangements to handle the movement of 34 lakh passengers during the 55-day Kumbh Mela with a number of special trains being run especially for this purpose, he said.
Keeping in view the heavy rush of visitors around `Mauni Amawasya,` a total of 135 trains were scheduled to be run during February 10 to 13, he said.
UP Panchayati Raj Minister Balram Singh Yadav and his cabinet colleague Durga Prasad Yadav told reporters that the government was committed to ensure the best possible medical treatment to the injured and prompt handing over of the bodies to their families.
Buses from across the state were being pressed into service to ferry the pilgrims back to their native places, they also said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in