Allahabad stampede: Uttar Pradesh govt orders judicial probe
Lucknow: Fearing further furore during the ongoing Budget Session of the state Assembly, the Uttar Pradesh government late Sunday ordered a judicial probe into the stampede at the Allahabad railway station Feb 11, which left 37 dead.
A state spokesman said Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had appointed retired Allahabad High Court judge Justice Onkareshwar Bhatt to hold the probe. He is expected to submit a report to the state government within two months.
"The probe into the Mauni Amavasya stampede at the railway station has been handed over to a retired high court judge and we expect the report to be tabled within the next two months," R.M. Srivastava, principal secretary (home) told a news agency.
The state government had earlier ordered the chairman of the revenue board Jagan Mathews to probe the incident but the official, after a week, had not initiated any proceedings in the probe.
The oppostion parties, including the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Congress, Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) had attacked the state government for failing to save precious lives during Kumbh. In protest, the opposition had not allowed Governor B.L. Joshi to speak at the inaugural session of the state assembly last week.
Fearing that the parties will now not allow the budget speech of the chief minister, the Uttar Pradesh government swung into action late Sunday, and after a political nod to the judicial probe, announced a time-bound probe.
Senior officials told the news agency that the decision to order a judicial probe was taken after a "threadbare scrutiny of its own arrangements at the Kumbh."
"Once it was found that the district and the Kumbh Mela administration had virtually no negative role in the tragedy, a political decision was taken to allow a judicial probe," a senior official at the chief minister`s office said.
With more than 30 million people gathering for the ritual bath on Mauni Amavasya day, arrangements for crowd control at the city railway station had collapsed, leading to a stampede at a foot overbridge and staircase connecting platforms 5 and 6, when panicky passengers rushed to board a train whose arrival was announced on the public address system.
While 36 people died on the spot, one succumbed to injuries later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly