Allahabad University closed for 3 days amid apprehensions of violence
Allahabad: The Allahabad University was on Monday closed down for three days amid apprehensions of violence after an FIR was lodged against student union leaders for allegedly assaulting staff of Vice-Chancellor`s office.
The FIR was lodged yesterday at Colonelganj police station against University Students Union president Dinesh Singh Yadav, its vice-president and two others who had barged into the V-C office to complain against "irregularities" in admissions of research scholars and assaulted some staff members, varsity sources said.
The students on Saturday assaulted the staff members, who prevented them from entering the V-C`s chamber, besides vandalising furniture, they said.
Later in a meeting of senior University officials, it was decided that the union vice-president Shalu Yadav should be suspended and the remaining three be expelled, they said.
Proctor Mata Amber Tiwari suspended Shalu with immediate effect while a file recommending the expulsion of the remaining three has been sent to the V-C for assent, they said.
Meanwhile, additional forces are being deployed around the sprawling University campus following a request from the varsity authorities, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal