Allahabad University closed for 3 days amid apprehensions of violence
Allahabad: The Allahabad University was on Monday closed down for three days amid apprehensions of violence after an FIR was lodged against student union leaders for allegedly assaulting staff of Vice-Chancellor`s office.
The FIR was lodged yesterday at Colonelganj police station against University Students Union president Dinesh Singh Yadav, its vice-president and two others who had barged into the V-C office to complain against "irregularities" in admissions of research scholars and assaulted some staff members, varsity sources said.
The students on Saturday assaulted the staff members, who prevented them from entering the V-C`s chamber, besides vandalising furniture, they said.
Later in a meeting of senior University officials, it was decided that the union vice-president Shalu Yadav should be suspended and the remaining three be expelled, they said.
Proctor Mata Amber Tiwari suspended Shalu with immediate effect while a file recommending the expulsion of the remaining three has been sent to the V-C for assent, they said.
Meanwhile, additional forces are being deployed around the sprawling University campus following a request from the varsity authorities, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred