Allahabad Varsity`s closure extended till Feb 9
Allahabad: The closure of Allahabad University, which had been effected for three days from Monday following apprehensions of violence in the wake of action against some student union leaders, has now been extended till February 9.
"The University will remain closed till February 9. Examinations scheduled during this period will be held, though there will be no routine classes", the University`s Public Relations Officer P K Sahoo said in a statement.
Although University authorities were tight-lipped about the reason behind extending the closure, it is being understood that the move follows inability of the police department to deploy additional forces at the campus as desired by the varsity.
The ongoing Maha Kumbh congregation has placed a heavy demand on police deployment and with two main bathing festivals of Mauni Amavasya (February 10) and Basant Panchmi (February 15) around the corner, diversion of forces for any other purpose seems to be out of question.
Trouble had begun on Saturday last when a number of student union leaders had barged into the office of the Vice-Chancellor and allegedly assaulted some staff members who prevented them from entering the V-C`s chamber.
An FIR was lodged in this connection a day later.
Following the incident, University has also rusticated the Allahabad University Students Union president Dinesh Singh Yadav along with his two supporters Ajeet Yadav and Avinash Dubey while the union`s vice-president Shalu Yadav has been placed under suspension.
The student union leaders had been alleging "irregularities" in admissions of research scholars into which an inquiry has been ordered by the University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read