Amar Singh asked me to return to Cong: Sanjay Dutt
Allahabad: Defending his parting of ways with
old friend Amar Singh, Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt on Sunday
claimed that his "return" to Congress came after "advice" to
this effect from the expelled Samajwadi Party leader himself.
"It was Amar Singh himself who gave me the advice that I
should return to the Congress. He reminded me that owing to my
family`s long association with the party, the Congress to me
is like blood flowing in my veins", Dutt told reporters here.
The 53-year-old actor, who had arrived here yesterday to
campaign for the Congress, said "I was livid over the way Amar
Singh was insulted by the Samajwadi Party. After all he had
done so much to help the party reach where it is today. That
is why when he was shown the door, I too quit the party.
"Later, when we are discussing our future strategy, Singh
suggested that I should return to the Congress".
Singh, who had played a key role in ensuring Samajwadi
Party`s support to the UPA government at the Centre in 2008
which had helped the ruling coalition survive a crucial trust
vote in the Parliament, has floated his own political outfit
"Rashtriya Lok Manch" which is taking part in the UP assembly
Dutt had joined the Samajwadi Party shortly before the
2009 Lok Sabha elections and, with the backing of Amar Singh,
was straight-away made the party`s national general secretary.
The party had also mulled fielding him from the Lucknow
Lok Sabha constituency, but had to withdraw the decision as
Dutt`s conviction in an Arms` Act case ran the risk of his
being disqualified from contesting the polls.
The actor`s father Sunil Dutt, who was himself a veteran
actor and film-maker, remained associated with the Congress
till his death in 2005 and even served as a minister in the
Union Cabinet for a brief period.
Dutt`s sister Priya is also a Congress MP.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani