Amar Singh asked me to return to Cong: Sanjay Dutt
Allahabad: Defending his parting of ways with
old friend Amar Singh, Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt on Sunday
claimed that his "return" to Congress came after "advice" to
this effect from the expelled Samajwadi Party leader himself.
"It was Amar Singh himself who gave me the advice that I
should return to the Congress. He reminded me that owing to my
family`s long association with the party, the Congress to me
is like blood flowing in my veins", Dutt told reporters here.
The 53-year-old actor, who had arrived here yesterday to
campaign for the Congress, said "I was livid over the way Amar
Singh was insulted by the Samajwadi Party. After all he had
done so much to help the party reach where it is today. That
is why when he was shown the door, I too quit the party.
"Later, when we are discussing our future strategy, Singh
suggested that I should return to the Congress".
Singh, who had played a key role in ensuring Samajwadi
Party`s support to the UPA government at the Centre in 2008
which had helped the ruling coalition survive a crucial trust
vote in the Parliament, has floated his own political outfit
"Rashtriya Lok Manch" which is taking part in the UP assembly
Dutt had joined the Samajwadi Party shortly before the
2009 Lok Sabha elections and, with the backing of Amar Singh,
was straight-away made the party`s national general secretary.
The party had also mulled fielding him from the Lucknow
Lok Sabha constituency, but had to withdraw the decision as
Dutt`s conviction in an Arms` Act case ran the risk of his
being disqualified from contesting the polls.
The actor`s father Sunil Dutt, who was himself a veteran
actor and film-maker, remained associated with the Congress
till his death in 2005 and even served as a minister in the
Union Cabinet for a brief period.
Dutt`s sister Priya is also a Congress MP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report