Amar Singh asked me to return to Cong: Sanjay Dutt
Allahabad: Defending his parting of ways with
old friend Amar Singh, Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt on Sunday
claimed that his "return" to Congress came after "advice" to
this effect from the expelled Samajwadi Party leader himself.
"It was Amar Singh himself who gave me the advice that I
should return to the Congress. He reminded me that owing to my
family`s long association with the party, the Congress to me
is like blood flowing in my veins", Dutt told reporters here.
The 53-year-old actor, who had arrived here yesterday to
campaign for the Congress, said "I was livid over the way Amar
Singh was insulted by the Samajwadi Party. After all he had
done so much to help the party reach where it is today. That
is why when he was shown the door, I too quit the party.
"Later, when we are discussing our future strategy, Singh
suggested that I should return to the Congress".
Singh, who had played a key role in ensuring Samajwadi
Party`s support to the UPA government at the Centre in 2008
which had helped the ruling coalition survive a crucial trust
vote in the Parliament, has floated his own political outfit
"Rashtriya Lok Manch" which is taking part in the UP assembly
Dutt had joined the Samajwadi Party shortly before the
2009 Lok Sabha elections and, with the backing of Amar Singh,
was straight-away made the party`s national general secretary.
The party had also mulled fielding him from the Lucknow
Lok Sabha constituency, but had to withdraw the decision as
Dutt`s conviction in an Arms` Act case ran the risk of his
being disqualified from contesting the polls.
The actor`s father Sunil Dutt, who was himself a veteran
actor and film-maker, remained associated with the Congress
till his death in 2005 and even served as a minister in the
Union Cabinet for a brief period.
Dutt`s sister Priya is also a Congress MP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in