Amar Singh to undertake `padayatra` for UP trifurcation
he would undertake a `padayatra` from Allahabad to Gorakhpur from December 1 to 31 to press the demand for trifurcation of Uttar Pradesh.
"My future in politics is related to the future of Uttar Pradesh. I am working hard for UP`s future and right now campaigning for its trifurcation into Bundelkhand, Poorvanchal
and Paschimanchal," he said responding to queries by reporters at a meet-the-press programme here.
Singh is here to promote the Malayalam film `Bombay Mittayi` in which he had acted along with Dimple Kapadia. He was accompanied by Dimple Kapadia and Jayaprada MP for the preview show of the film and the press meet.
Stating that progress and development had come wherever big states were divided into smaller ones, Singh said it was only pragmatic and practical to rule small states. "This
should not be deemed as fragmentation of the country."
He said anybody supporting the cause of small states including leaders from Telangana, Vidarbha and Gorkhaland were welcome to join the struggle. Rashtriya Lok Dal leader Ajit Singh who had been rooting for `Harit Pradesh` was also invited to support the movement.
He said Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati had also sent a letter to the Centre seeking the state`s trifurcation.
To questions whether he expected a recall to the parent party or would move closer to the Congress, Singh said he was not expecting a call from anyone. "I don`t believe in looking
behind though I don`t regret my past. Even if someone calls, I will be a different person," he said.
Singh said his future would be dependent on the work he was currently doing, which would be the edifice for the future of Uttar Pradesh. "I have decided to go on a 450 km-long padayatra without taking heed to doctor`s advice. I want to be mingling with people at the grass root level, the deprived sections," he said.
Singh, who as Samajwadi Party general secretary played a crucial role in bailing out the previous UPA government when the Left parties withdrew their support on the nuclear issue, said he did that only in national interest and not for reciprocity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UK's exit from EU: India prepared for all eventualities, says Shaktikanta Das
- Britain exits European Union, first country to leave 28-nation bloc
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Brexit consequence: Jaitley, Rajan say country will withstand
- Senegal says ex-president Wade`s son freed after graft pardon
- OUCET 2016 Results declared; download Osmania University Common Entrance Tests 2016 Rank Card here
- Will have to see how implementation rolls out: Verma on Brexit
- Danish government-allied populists call for EU vote, PM rejects