Amar Singh to undertake `padayatra` for UP trifurcation
he would undertake a `padayatra` from Allahabad to Gorakhpur from December 1 to 31 to press the demand for trifurcation of Uttar Pradesh.
"My future in politics is related to the future of Uttar Pradesh. I am working hard for UP`s future and right now campaigning for its trifurcation into Bundelkhand, Poorvanchal
and Paschimanchal," he said responding to queries by reporters at a meet-the-press programme here.
Singh is here to promote the Malayalam film `Bombay Mittayi` in which he had acted along with Dimple Kapadia. He was accompanied by Dimple Kapadia and Jayaprada MP for the preview show of the film and the press meet.
Stating that progress and development had come wherever big states were divided into smaller ones, Singh said it was only pragmatic and practical to rule small states. "This
should not be deemed as fragmentation of the country."
He said anybody supporting the cause of small states including leaders from Telangana, Vidarbha and Gorkhaland were welcome to join the struggle. Rashtriya Lok Dal leader Ajit Singh who had been rooting for `Harit Pradesh` was also invited to support the movement.
He said Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati had also sent a letter to the Centre seeking the state`s trifurcation.
To questions whether he expected a recall to the parent party or would move closer to the Congress, Singh said he was not expecting a call from anyone. "I don`t believe in looking
behind though I don`t regret my past. Even if someone calls, I will be a different person," he said.
Singh said his future would be dependent on the work he was currently doing, which would be the edifice for the future of Uttar Pradesh. "I have decided to go on a 450 km-long padayatra without taking heed to doctor`s advice. I want to be mingling with people at the grass root level, the deprived sections," he said.
Singh, who as Samajwadi Party general secretary played a crucial role in bailing out the previous UPA government when the Left parties withdrew their support on the nuclear issue, said he did that only in national interest and not for reciprocity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself