`Amend Constitution to provide Muslim reservation`
Lucknow: The Centre should bring in a Constitution amendment Bill to provide for reservation to Muslims in government jobs, UP Minority Welfare Minister Azam Khan on Saturday said.
The way an amendment Bill is being brought to ensure reservation in promotion for Dalits even after Supreme Court had quashed it, the Centre should bring a legislation to ensure quota for the minority community, he said.
The Centre is bringing a Constitution amendment Bill for ensuring reservation in promotion of SCs and STs in government jobs in this Monsoon session.
"An assurance has come from Congress that an amendment will be made in the Constitution for reservation in promotion for Dalits," said Azam.
He said that situation of Muslims, which was the second largest population, was worst than Dalits as per Sachar committee report.
"It is my demand that when the Centre tables bill for amendment in the Constitution for reservation in promotion for Dalits, then it should also bring a bill for reservation in jobs for Muslims," he said.
"Otherwise, it will be considered that whatever was done in the name of Sachar committee was farce and Muslims are being ditched again," he added.
Azam said his logic was only that if an amendment could be made for Dalits then it could also be done for Muslims.
"If Congress does injustice with the second largest population then it should consider itself away from the next government," he said.
On being asked whether it was his personal demand or SP`s stand, Khan said the party has promised reservation for Muslims in its manifesto and it cannot back away from it.
"When reservation was done on religious grounds the High Court and the Supreme Court termed it unconstitutional. When the court gave its judgement in the case of promotion then an amendment has been announced," he said.
The Supreme Court had on June 14 rejected the Centre`s proposal to create a 4.5 per cent minority sub-quota within the 27 per cent OBC quota.
The Supreme Court had also quashed the policy of reservation in promotion and also the practice of giving "consequential seniority" to SC/ST employees which, it was alleged, was discriminatory and gave employees of the reserved category an advantage over other employees in promotion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in